Bacon in Canada.

Anything in here
MrWright
Elite
Elite

Bacon in Canada.

Postby MrWright » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:27 pm

Ok the other night Elecmec and I were talking and I said that I'd heard on a commerce they didn't have Canadian Bacon in Canada. He said that they do. I said that I thought so. Then I asked him to tell me what it looked like, he said BACON!! LOL I know... But what he described was just plain old Bacon. He didn't know what I was talking about when I described Canadian Bacon as Ham like.

CB, you have lived in both places. Did they have it or not? Or is Kenny just messed up? :D Here are pics of both, and if they have it there what do you call it?

Plane ass Bacon

Canadian Bacon

FragFaerie
Elite
Elite

Postby FragFaerie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:54 am

looks like bacon (pic1) and plain ol' ham slices (pic2) to me, but up here, it's all CANADIAN. We just plain have good pigs. :???:
Cheers & time for breakfast
FF

BlinK
Elite
Elite

Postby BlinK » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:24 am

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/ enjoy

P.S THE BEAVER RULES ......... :D
sEx Is DirTy , OnlY If yOu dO It rIgHt !!

Blink A.K.A DinKsTer

Odysseus
master
master

Postby Odysseus » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:40 am

Yup, Blinky's got it right. also called back bacon, has pee meal around the edges!! LOL! :mad:

Od :oops:

CANADIAN_BITCH
Elite
Elite

Postby CANADIAN_BITCH » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Blink has it right, the best bacon around. Nothing better then Canadian Bacon on a bun when you are hung over :P The pic up at the top is ham LOL. =-=

T3TR4H3DR4
Elite
Elite

Postby T3TR4H3DR4 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:46 pm

Well hold on a second. Time for the most Canadian clan member here to set you guys straight.

The true denotation of "canadian bacon" and "back bacon" is different definitions depending on where you are.
These words have different meanings to Canadians and Americans.
Completely different in fact. Which is just geographical-based semantics.
Mix in advertisers who sell both in canada and america under one terminology and things get confusing.

You guys are confusing Canadian Bacon with the "Canadian Bacon Company's, Canadian Bacon". Who gives a shit about that website?
To Canadians, Canadian Bacon is just Bacon processed in Canada. Period.
It is irrelevant how it is sliced.

Does american chicken go by a different name if it sliced different and sold in canada? Sheesh.

I live in the most true Canadian Province in Cnada. We are real rednecks out here. We aint no big city folk with politics and stuff. We even planned to separate from the rest of Canada becuase our oldtime values are creating a ginormous surplus that is greater than half the candian provinces combined. This province is full of farmers and loggers and the biggest volume exporting province to USA.

If some jackass makes a website that says american chicken is sliced and packed in the shape of george bush's head. Does that mean you cant buy american chicken unless it looks like that>?

Its the same shit eating pork from anywhere in the world.
Some american chicken is not even born in america, just processed there.
And vice versa for canada and pork.

Different companies can dress up the package... or website... but pig is pig. Bacon is bacon. The only difference is where it is processed, and not how. Especially not where it was born.

So Mr-Wright, either picture can still be back bacon, and also canadian bacon regardless of how it is processed. The point is where.

This brings us to American english semantics...

Back bacon is known as "Canadian bacon" in the United States but not in Canada, where it is simply called back bacon, or sometimes peameal bacon.

In Canada, "Canadian bacon" is traditionally unsmoked back bacon.
Or a movie starring John Candy.

"Peameal bacon"is back bacon that has been sweet pickle-cured and coated in yellow cornmeal, because in times past a mixture of ground yellow peas was used for coating to improve curing and shelf-life.

The "Canadian" bacon sold in the United States is plain lean back bacon.
Some Canadian bacon comes from america and is processed is canada.
Regardless of how it is sliced.

So now you see how different North American companies can blur the lines using different names for the same shit to appeal to different customers.

FragFaerie
Elite
Elite

Postby FragFaerie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:43 pm

In Canada, "Canadian bacon" is traditionally unsmoked back bacon.
Or a movie starring John Candy.

"Peameal bacon"is back bacon that has been sweet pickle-cured and coated in yellow cornmeal, because in times past a mixture of ground yellow peas was used for coating to improve curing and shelf-life.
Good movie, now back to chewing the fat here: peameal bacon, wtf is peameal? :-o

Guess that's the problem of bein' a maritimer, we just don't know them honkin' big upper & lower Canadian words and I guess we don' live near as high on the hog 'cause we donno what that stuff is. We's jus' folks from the real back woods & waters of this great big ol' land of ours, sittin' back on poggie and cussin', fightin', drinkin' black rum 8-O & eatin' blueberry pie , or so the song goes.

Regardless though, it's all Canadian pig.

Enjoy,
FF

MrWright
Elite
Elite

Postby MrWright » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:57 pm

Thanks guys. T3 the most Canadian Canadian in Canada, that was very informative. So your saying that Canadian Bacon comes from the back of the pig? Because I know that plain old Bacon as I know it comes from the Belly area.

The bottom pic is NOT ham. If you order a pizza from Pizza Hut here you can get it with Bacon, Ham, AND Canadian Bacon. So they are not the same. The Canadian Bacon is tougher and more chewy than plain old Ham or Bacon.

You see sort of the same thing down here with Steak too. Most places you can get a Kansas City Strip Steak, or a New York Strip Steak. They are the same cut of meat. Just depends on where you go.

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:16 pm

Well all I know is im a good old american boy and I HATE OUR BACON, its greasy, fatning, and full of cholesterol ...........Canadian bacon is way much better tasting anyway ...... z,l.

YOU DONT STOP PLAYING GAMES WHEN YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING GAMES.

CANADIAN_BITCH
Elite
Elite

Postby CANADIAN_BITCH » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:05 pm

I still say the pic is Ham LOL, or what we would call a round ham or processed ham, kinda like chicken nuggets are processed chicken. The pic that Blink shows is what we know as Canadian Bacon, with the peameal around it. Guess it all depends on where are you from as stated above.

I say "Canadian Bacon is the best EH?" :mad:

WeAre138
veteran
veteran

Postby WeAre138 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:22 pm

Meh, they both work good on a pizza depending on your taste at the moment :D

JP2
Elite
Elite

Postby JP2 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 pm

Good movie, now back to chewing the fat here: peameal bacon, wtf is peameal?
Here in Quebec, Pic 1 is BACON and Pic 2 is plain HAM. Wtf is PEAMEAL ?
It looks like "Smoked Meat" (from beef). I will sleep less idiot tonight because now I know about PEAMEAL and canadian bacon ! LOL

Let's frag some pigs ! ##1

Return to “General Talk (UT2004)”