Map Size Advice

Any questions for unreal editor here
Cruce
Site Admin
Site Admin

Map Size Advice

Postby Cruce » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:03 pm

Hello Mappers,
I am almost done with my first map. Well, It is a LARGE outdoor map, and I have all the terrain done with 5 layers and an ocean. I am getting ready to add the details like staticmeshes, build 2 buildings and add player spawn points. My file size is already 64Megs. WOW. I am not using any custom textures. So I am a little confused at why the file size is so big. Before I started adding layers and had just the terrain, the file size was around 32Meg. I am wondering if it is worth continueing, or if I should try reducing the file size first? Is there a way to compress the map, for faster download?
Thanks in advance.
-Cruce
--------------------------------------
a cruce salus - from the cross comes salvation

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:40 pm

let me look at it, do you have a download link somewhere? if so send it to my private message area.

YOU DONT STOP PLAYING GAMES WHEN YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING GAMES.

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:10 am

Well bud my first words was WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you got some time in the map so far, but to get right down to the bottom line and ive had to do it before myself, and as much as you hate to, DELETE IT and start over, when I fired the map up it was unplayable, my framerate was 1, thats 1 frame per second... lol and alot of people cant even run a map that has 30 - 40 fps. I deleted all the fluid surfices and it still lags BIGTIME, but ran a little better, It even brings my editor to a halt... lol . Not sure but my biggest map I think was like 40,000 x 40,000 x 10,000 in size and thats my big christmastown map, and that map is huge and you say yours is 65536 x 65536 x <32768. and you have nothing but hills and water surface so far.. lol

Hate to pop your bubble but this map will be unplayable for everyone, cause im running a athlon 64 3800+ with a gig of extreme memory and a ati 9800 pro video card and it brings it to a dead ass halt like right now.

No offense what so ever, you had good intentions for your first map, but thats how you learn, any more help let me know.

YOU DONT STOP PLAYING GAMES WHEN YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING GAMES.

Cruce
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cruce » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:30 am

Thanks for the input. I was afraid of that. But oh well, back to the drawing board.
-Cruce

Cruce
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cruce » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:51 am

I went in and modified my height map for my terrain from 1024x1024 to 512x512. Before I was also making my terrain layers with alphaHeight/Width of 1024x1024 with U/VScale of 1. I am now making them with alphaHeight/Width of 256x256 with U/VScale of 2. If I understand it correctly, it will lower the resolution of my layers, but that should not mattter. Plus it significantly lowers the file size. The file size has dropped down to around 12Megs. I think this should be much playable. And the map size is 32768x32768x16384 and it looks like I can shrink the height alot more.
Thanks again for your feedback.
-Cruce

F00FIGHTER
noob
noob

Postby F00FIGHTER » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Speaking of map sizes....I'm thinking of doing an ONS map. My 1st subtract brush was like 72,000 x 72,000 x 20,0000. Is this a good size for this or am I wasting my time?

By the way X great job on the speedshop map.

Return to “UT2004 UNREAL ED”