ASU should play Ohio

Anything in here
SouthernAvenger
Elite
Elite

ASU should play Ohio

Postby SouthernAvenger » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:20 am

So, this Friday my Alma Mater plays for a repeat of the Division 1 championship.

However, there is reason to say that Appalachian State should be playing Ohio State for the national championship. Here is why.

Appalachian State beat Montana State, who beat Colorado, who beat Iowa State, who beat Missouri, who beat Mississippi, who beat Vanderbilt, who beat Georgia, who beat Auburn, who handed Florida their only loss of the 2006 season (source: NCAA).

Appalachian deserves to play instead of Florida! :???:
"They couldnt hit an elephant at this distance"
- Union Gen. John Sedgwick - just moments before being shot dead by a confederate sniper at Spotsylvania

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Really dont matter to me who we play cause we will STOOMP thier ass anyway !!!!
DONT ever under estimate the BUCKS..................LOL

Last edited by THEXFILES on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU DONT STOP PLAYING GAMES WHEN YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING GAMES.

SouthernAvenger
Elite
Elite

Postby SouthernAvenger » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:48 am

I quote my famous neighbor, Wooooooooooooo!!! z,l.
(well, he lives in the gated community down the street)

- Union Gen. John Sedgwick - just moments before being shot dead by a confederate sniper at Spotsylvania

SouthernAvenger
Elite
Elite

Postby SouthernAvenger » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:48 am

Just in case some of you have been living on Mars...or Canada for that matter :x , check out the below.

Video 1 link
ASU vs Mich. video1
Video 2 link
ASU vs Mich video2

MOUNTAINEERS STUN MICHIGAN, 34-32
by courtesy of the Associated Press

September 1, 2007 - Ann Arbor, Mich. - Julian Rauch's 24-yard field goal with 26 seconds left Saturday put Appalachian State University football ahead of the University of Michigan and Corey Lynch blocked a field goal in the final seconds to seal one of college football's biggest upsets as the Mountaineers prevailed, 34-32 .

"We're still sort of shocked," coach Jerry Moore said after being carried off the field by his players.

The two-time defending champions from former Division I-AA were ahead of the nation's winningest program 28-14 late in the second quarter, then their storybook afternoon seemed to unravel late in the fourth quarter.

Mike Hart's 54-yard run put the Wolverines ahead -- for the first time since early in the second quarter -- with 4:36 left.

One snap after the go-ahead touchdown, Brandent Englemon intercepted an errant pass, but the Wolverines couldn't capitalize and had their first of two field goals blocked.

Appalachian State drove 69 yards without a timeout in 1:11 to set up the go-ahead field goal.

"I've been dreaming about that kick every day," Rauch said.

But it still wasn't over.

Chad Henne threw a 46-yard pass to Mario Manningham, giving Michigan the ball at Appalachian State's 20 with 6 seconds left.

Lynch blocked the kick and returned it to the other end of the field as the final seconds ticked off, and his teammates rushed across the field to pile on as the coaching staff and cheerleaders jumped with joy.

Appalachian State has won 15 straight games, the longest streak in the nation.

The Mountaineers are favored to win the Football Championship Subdivision -- formerly known as Division I-AA -- but they weren't expected to put up much of a fight against a team picked to win the Big Ten and contend for the national title.

That's the beauty of college football.

No Division I-AA team had beaten a team ranked in The Associated Press poll from 1989-2006, and it's unlikely that it happened after Division-I subdivisions were created in 1978.

Appalachian State is not eligible to receive votes in the AP Top 25 poll because the school is not in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

"I wouldn't call it embarrassing because that takes away from them," Hart said. "We're disappointed. I can tell you that.

"It is one of the biggest losses ever, but give all the credit to Appalachian State."

Appalachian State's win does seem to pass the one second-tier programs used to regard as their crowning achievement -- The Citadel's season-opening win in 1992 over Arkansas that led to the firing of Razorbacks coach Jack Crowe following the game.

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr will not get fired after this upset, but he might've wished he retired after last season when the Wolverines won 11 games and played in the Rose Bowl. Michigan has now lost three in a row over two seasons.

Carr will likely second-guess a lot from the game, and the practices that led to it, and might regret going for 2-point conversions twice in the final 15-plus minutes.

After Appalachian State went ahead 31-20, Hart scored with 24 seconds left in the third quarter and the 2-point conversion failed as Carr tried to pull within a field goal. Following Hart's late TD that put Michigan ahead by one, Carr couldn't justify kicking the extra point and backup running back Brandon Minor stumbled to the turf.

Carr didn't regret going for it both times, but did lament the many mistakes, penalties and missed opportunities after opening his news conference by giving Appalachian State credit.

"We were not a well-prepared football team," Carr said. "That is my job, and I take full responsibility."

The Mountaineers improved to 7-36-1 against top-tier teams since 1978, beating a team other than Wake Forest in such matchups for the first time.
Since beating Wake Forest in 2000, they had been respectable against strong programs, trailing LSU and JaMarcus Russell by two touchdowns entering the fourth quarter before losing 24-0 in 2005 and leading Auburn late in the third before losing by a TD in 1999.

But Appalachian State proved it belonged from start to finish, making up for a slight size disadvantage with more speed.

Quarterback Armanti Edwards threw for 227 yards, three scores and two interceptions while he kept Michigan guessing with enough skills running to have 62 yards rushing. Dexter Jackson caught three passes for 92 yards, and scored twice, including a 68-yard reception that tied the game early and provided a glimpse of what was coming over the next three hours.

Hart, who went almost two quarters without a carry because of an injury, ran for 188 yards and three touchdowns. Henne was 19-of-37 for 233 yards in a lackluster game that included a TD and an interception in Mountaineer territory.

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:32 pm

One team I hate in football college and pro, and thats MICHIGAN, that was sweet to see them get beat by the underdog !!!!!!

YOU DONT STOP PLAYING GAMES WHEN YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING GAMES.

Return to “General Talk (UT2004)”