What do we do with our BF2 server?

All you ever wanted to know about BF2 and more...
THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

What do we do with our BF2 server?

Postby THEXFILES » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:30 am

Ok what do we do with our BF2 server? Some people like Infintry only, some like bigger maps with vehicles, and Im not gonna be in a constant pissing match on what map is being played on the server and what map is not. So what do you wanna do? I myself hate maps that you walk everywhere you wanna go, thats just plain stupid in my book, others like it, but its not for me. So do we run a different map everyday? run just certain maps? what? Only problem I see is people see our server with a certain map and join the server, next night they go to come in to it and its on another map they dont like, so we loose the players that come to the server on a regular basis. One of the problems I see some people say they like a map like karkland, so the server sets there for 2 days with no one in it, so why are you not in there playing ? So when I see its just sitting there with no one playing I change the map to something elese and then I hear what happened to the map, why was it changed. So you members tell me the way you want it set up.

YOU DONT STOP PLAYING GAMES WHEN YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING GAMES.

CANADIAN_BITCH
Elite
Elite

Postby CANADIAN_BITCH » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:05 pm

I agree with what you said before, one day one map, another day another map. I hate inf only, walking all over the place, gets boring for me, BUT thats me. I personally do not like any of the MEC maps, I prefer the other maps. So I will play on the days with the maps I like, on the days it is ones I don't I will play somewhere else. I am not going to bitch because the server does not have the map I like.
On the other hand, when I see the server empty most of the night, I don't see a problem with changing it to a another map, no one is in there, so it should not cause problems. Maybe it will bring in players if the map is changed.
Either way........I am not going to complain when it is on a map I do not care for. Once in a while I will jump in just so a game will get going, and then once there is enough players, I will leave. ;)

JP2
Elite
Elite

Postby JP2 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:51 pm

My problem is the night I'm playing. I can't play everyday of the week and the night I'm in I don't want the same map all night every week. I like variety. With a previous post I said the maps I like. What I propose is one or 2 days (or more ) a month , with a vote, we can have special day of infantry or smaller maps or anything else AND the people who vote should be there and assume there choices. Ex.: the special day is Sunday at 2 PM and I vote Infantery or a map or anything else. I should be there. OR Special day is Sunday at 2 PM I can't be there, so I don't vote.

And one another thing , we pay for it . Our concerns should be ours not the other people . It's secondary.
On UT2004 the people come because of how the server are setup with mods.
This is just a proposition . From what I read on the forum it can work.

JP

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:58 pm

Thats one of the problems though JP, say the maps on Karkand, and we switch it to what ever map, I will bet my paycheck you will lose over half the players for the next map, cause they dont want that map, they joined the server cause it was on karkand and if they cant keep playing that map, they go to a different server. I might pop in once in awhile if its a MEC map with flying gernades once in awile, but i wont be there alot. Like mike said...........War is Hell, and war to me means jets, choppers, tanks, apc's, jeeps, c4, gernades the whole nine yards, not just a gun, gernades and combat boots . If BF2 was a INF game only, I never would have bought the game, I bought COD4 and hated the damm thing and sold it, cause that what it was. I would play anything if we switched the maps up, but latley when dragon valley is switched to a few MPC people leave, and it leaves us with not enough players to start a game, so if I stay in the game to get a karkand map going, why cant everyone do that for the people that like a bigger map like dragon valley?

YOU DONT STOP PLAYING GAMES WHEN YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING GAMES.

JP2
Elite
Elite

Postby JP2 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:03 pm

You know me, I'll stick with the map until the end. And if I leave, it's because it's late (past midnight) and I'm working next morning. But I'll finish the map. Lately when the people leave it's because we had a run for 2-3 hours the same freaking map. I know it's difficult to satisfied everyone (like a restaurant ? they have a menu !) Make a deadline like in 2 weeks , to every members opinion and after we stick for it for a time. AS for maps changing there's servers 24/7 to a unique map. They can go there if this is their wishes.

PyroJack
Elite
Elite

many factor to consider

Postby PyroJack » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:06 pm

ok, don't just blame the map, jets, server setup or the north east blowing over 50 mph...

people come and go, we don't need to know what for and I don't care. We also have life elsewhere than if front of that monitor.

You can make a servey to know the setups and maps people like, but like JP said, only the opinions of those involve ($$$) in the server should count.

For me, when I have a free time spot, I go play, no matter what map or setup. Yes I have some favorites, but if our server is empty I'll find another and that's all. I play more these days on other servers than ours because it's mainly empty when I show up here.
If people really want to play they will come, for the map, the setup or the people playing on it because you know they play good or the way you like. The exact same reason I joined MPC years ago, for the crowd. You guys are fun to play with and to chat to.

As for the maps and setup, I only dislike jets because the game have a serious lack of weapons to take them down. There should be more than 2 freaking TOEs on a map. But like you said X, war is hell and chaos. So when I'll feel like "hell and chaos", I'll do it on whatever terrain that is available. War don't let you decide on what ground or roof you'll get your heat blown off !!!

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:50 pm

I play more these days on other servers than ours because it's mainly empty when I show up here.
Here is a good example, its saturday night, the server is on Sharkqi and not a soul on there, where is all that wants to play these maps? If i change it to dragon valley the server will fill up in no time. This is my point, you want these maps play in them, if your not gonna play in them dont complain its on a different map again. CB and myself and a few others would like it on dragon valley tonight since there is no one on the server, but if I do that then the members come on the website and say hey, there is alot of people on our server, but its on that map again we dont like, what do we do here?

I say we just go in the server and play the map , of who shows up that night then we can vote from there on out.

MrWright
Elite
Elite

Postby MrWright » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:02 pm

I see so much that I agree with. First like JP said I only leave when it's late or I have other things to do. The map doesn't really make much difference to me. Although there are other big maps besides Dragon Vally, I don't know the names, but they also have Carriers out in the Bay. I guess they might be more mid sized. For the most part the smaller maps go faster and you get more games in. Sure you don't get as many points per game but you will in the same amount of time. Can we set it to switch maps after every round, not playing the same map back to back. You know how the game makes you start as a Mec, then the next time same map but your USA, instead switch maps.

On another note, does the V.O.I.P. work and does anyone know how to set it up? I guess what I want to know is does it work like it did in UT, you press a key and talk and only the people that have it turned on hear it?

MAD
developer
developer

Postby MAD » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:11 pm

No one, no matter who it is, and no matter what outcome thier trying to achieve, will ever, make everyone happy. Hence the word compromise.

What we have to do is find a suitable compromise so that everyone, can go in our, "our" mind you, not mine and not his or hers, our server, and have the fun that they want and need to have, to get away from the everyday hassles and headaches and just relax and have fun and a few laughs. This is what it's all about people. All of this drama about who said what and who wants what and who bitches about whatever, is nothing but a waste of everyone's time and energy that would be better spent working towards this compromise.

We are all adults. Let's act like adults shall we. Surely we can all come to some kind of compromise.

JP has said that he has posted the names of the maps he likes, and I know I have as well. I'm sure others have to, but I cant say for sure because of a lack of sleep LOL. So I would think, all that needs to be done is a simple check of the posts members have made of the maps they would like to see. Then all we do is work out the best compromise (don't we just love that word? LOL) on the days of the week what maps get played. This isn't rocket science. People don't need to get bent out of shape about this. That's not very productive to team work now is it? LOL

As far as loosing players when the map changes. That's going to happen and theres nothing that can be done about it. Some people only like one map, so thats what they play. All the power to them, I'm not one of them. So when our server is on that map, maybe we'll see them. Maybe we'll get some new regulars by mixing the maps up a bit. Some people like infantry only, some don't. For me I find it more challenging, and as some of you newer players go along, you might end up feeling the same. I'll ask you after you've been playing it for 2 or 3 years.

My personal opinion is, that being as this is a new BF2 server, and we don't have any regulars yet, we need a decent mix of different things so that our server can be appealing to a broader audience. We all know that we don't have enough players and we need more. I think mixing it up with different maps and game styles will attract more players than say, a run of the mill server. There are LOT'S of those. I think that once we all decide on the server setup, we should make it known to people that are either in game, or loading the game, that on our site (which is fkn awesome in comparison to most I've seen) is a schedule of what gets played and when. All of this is going to take time. It's not going to happen in one month, and it might not in six. Most of the more popular servers that are full every night have been online for years, not months.

Our main goal should be, to attract more players from a varied audience. How does everyone think we could best achieve that goal?
Asus M2N-E, XFI Fatality Platinum, Athlon 64 6000X2, OCZ 4GB 800Mhz SLI-Ready Edition, XFX GeForce 8800GT XXX, Dual WD Rapter 150GB RAID0, Seagate 250G, Coolermaster Real Power 650w, Triple LG DVD/RW, Coolermaster Stacker

MAD
developer
developer

Postby MAD » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Here is a good example, its saturday night, the server is on Sharkqi and not a soul on there, where is all that wants to play these maps?
Maybe their working 30 out of the last 42 hours, out in the snow, wind, and cold, on 3 hours sleep and 5 chicken wings and no shower LOL.

Maybe they have a family, and seeing that it's a Saturday night, their having family time.

Not everyone has the computer attached to them like an IV drip every night. Like others have stated, they play when they have time and they play when they can, and that should be good enough. Theres no need to berate them because they can't be there tonight, or whenever the server is on that map. If the server is scheduled to be on a particular map on a particular night, and it's not, I think, and I'm sure you'll agree, they would have a legitimate beef.
Asus M2N-E, XFI Fatality Platinum, Athlon 64 6000X2, OCZ 4GB 800Mhz SLI-Ready Edition, XFX GeForce 8800GT XXX, Dual WD Rapter 150GB RAID0, Seagate 250G, Coolermaster Real Power 650w, Triple LG DVD/RW, Coolermaster Stacker

JP2
Elite
Elite

Postby JP2 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:57 pm

Is there a mod or add-on that doesn't do shit with the rank server and in the last 2 minutes of a game we can vote for a new map ? I saw something like that on a CO4 server.
JP

PyroJack
Elite
Elite

few questions here

Postby PyroJack » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:52 am

frow what I read here, I understand that the maps isn't much of the problem as it is for the lack of players online.

so my questions are...

... do we play just for the points ?

we played UT all together and never had problem playing, we can have fun with only two people on the server. so if the answer is "yes", and all we want is the damn unlocks, let's do like many other clans, let's get a bunch of us on the server for some serious stat padding. Once all of us will have the "golden" unlocks, we won't need a ranked server and play normally without caring for every others toughts.

The objective of this is " A GAME AND HAVE FUN IN IT ".

yesterday night I played 2 or 3 maps with X, CB, Wright, Yodaddy on ventrilo. We killed and got smacked too. I like hearing X mumbling because he got shot by a talented chopper pilot. I smiled alone in front on my PC just by hearing CB laughing her butt off because she got me with damn gun stuck in single shots.
It's all this I'm in for. If I would only want points and the exact gaming experience I want, I wouldn't need a clan. I would just find the server that suit my exact mood of the moment and login .
Before UT, I was playing "Tribes" another team oriented game similar to BF2142. I joined a clan then because of the contacts with the regulars on their server. A lucky find, and a keeper then.

SAME WITH MPC, cool bunch, great times, good games and laughs.

so, what's next ?

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:43 pm

Ok, well Karkland has been running for over two weeks now, and the only time it gets busy seems like when CB, chitslinger, diceman, killer myself and a few more off and on get in there and people start coming in then, the people that wanted karkland we have not seen on there in awhile or if very often at that, Do we want to try it as a dragon valley server for a few weeks and see what it does???????

thediceman
Elite
Elite

Postby thediceman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Lets do some thing?I go on other server and what I see the clan there are "CHEATING" one will be on team 1 and the other on 2 and if they see each other and you are near by one will kill you and the other will revive you just to get the points ! Let go dragon valley server for a few weeks and see.

MrWright
Elite
Elite

Postby MrWright » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Sounds fine, lets try it.

Return to “General Talk (BF2)”